I’ve been blogging for a long time and it’s easy to run out of ideas for the holidays. There are only so many variations of a candy corn cupcake or a spooky spider cookie, ya know? I thought I’d combine a few things for these cookies — making candy corn mummies!
Candy Corn Mummy Cookies
Recipe source: The Partiologist 
For the sugar cookies:
2 cups butter
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon salt
6 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup sour cream
2 teaspoon nutmeg
Beat butter and sugar. Add eggs, sour cream, and nutmeg. Add dry ingredients gradually. Chill the batter overnight or for at least 4 hours. Roll out dough and cut with candy corn-shaped cookie cutter. Bake at 350F until golden, about 8-10 minutes.
Note: You can use any sugar cookie recipe you’d like. I used this because it’s my favorite. But use whatever you prefer. The recipe above will make quite a few cookies — at least 3 dozen.
For the icing:
1 stick salted butter – room temperature
1 stick unsalted butter – room temperature
1 cup shortening
1 tablespoon clear vanilla extract
2 pounds confectioner’s sugar
4-6 tablespoons very cold milk
Orange and yellow food coloring
1. Cream the butter and shortening in the bowl of an electric or stand mixer.
2. Add the clear vanilla extract and combine well.
3. Begin adding in the sugar and mixing thoroughly after each addition.
4. After all of the sugar has been added and mixed thoroughly, begin adding the very cold milkâ€¦ one tablespoon at a time, combining very well after each addition (mixer on medium-high to high speed) until you reach the desired consistency.
5. Divide into three bowls. Keep one bowl white, dye the other two orange and yellow.
— Recipe from therepressedpastrychef.blogspot.com
Using a flat piping tip (Wilton #47 works well), pipe yellow, orange, and white icing onto the cookies in mummy-like fashion. No need to be perfect with this — because every mummy looks a little messy, right?! Place two candy eyes onto each cookie. If you don’t have candy eyes, you can pipe eyes with icing (provided you have some black food coloring).