Gumdrops: you either love ‘em or you hate ‘em. If you love them, try this recipe. Additionally, why are gumdrops so hard to find? I had to go to three stores before I found them!
Recipe source: unknown
1-1/2 cups gumdrops (I used the smaller variety)
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups quick-cooking oats
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Cut gumdrops into small pieces; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
4. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until combined. Stir in oats and gumdrops.
5. Roll dough into 1-inch balls and place 2-inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake 9-11 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let cool on pan for 2 minutes, then remove to wire racks for complete cooling.
Makes about 4 dozen cookies.
* A reader pointed out that it may be necessary to press these cookies down prior to baking, so that they will spread.