Spring is here and Easter is a few weeks away! I’ve never been shy about the fact that I am really not a fan of carrot cake. But this carrot cake kind of changed my mind. It was downright delicious. And it was made with applesauce (one of my favorite foods)! Maybe knowing that fact made it taste even better.
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup applesauce
2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3 cups finely grated carrots [I shredded mine using a food processor]
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray two 9″ round cake pans with nonstick spray, set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
3. In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, combine vegetable oil, applesauce, eggs, granulated sugar and vanilla.
4. Slowly stir in dry ingredients and mix until well blended. Stir in grated carrots. Divide mixture evenly into 2 prepared cake pans.
5. Bake cakes in preheat oven for 37-39 minutes until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool 5 minutes in cake dishes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
Cream Cheese Frosting
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup salted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar
In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, whip together cream cheese, butter and vanilla until fluffy. Stir in powdered sugar and mix until well combine. If you’d like, dye small portions of the icing to incorporate a design onto your cake.