St. Patrick’s Day is mere hours away – the day where we all get to be Irish, eat corned beef, and maybe even drink green beer. And this year, I can eat Irish Car Bombs in cupcake form. Enjoy the sugar high and not the hangover :)
1 cup Guinness
1 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
2/3 cup sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Bring 1 cup stout and 1 cup butter to simmer in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add cocoa powder and whisk until mixture is smooth. Cool slightly.
3. Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, and 3/4 tea. salt in large bowl to blend.
4. In another bowl, beat eggs and sour cream together with an electric mixer.
5. Add the stout-chocolate mixture to the egg mixture and beat just to combine.
6. Add flour mixture and beat briefly on slow speed. Using a rubber spatula, fold batter until completely combined.
7. Fill the lined cupcake pans 2/3 to 3/4 of the way full. Bake 17 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Cool completely on a rack.
4 oz. bittersweet bakerâ€™s chocolate
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon butter at room temperature
1 teaspoon Irish Whiskey
1. Chop the chocolate and transfer it to a heat-proof bowl.
2. Heat the cream until simmering and pour it over the chocolate. Let it sit for 1 minute and then stir until smooth. This should sufficiently melt the chocolate â€” if not, use the microwave to help things along.
3. Add the butter and whiskey and stir until combined.
4. Let the ganache cool and thicken. Meanwhile, using a knife, cut out 1-inch circles in the cupcakes. Remove the centers of the cake, going about 2/3 of the way down into the cupcake.
5. Put the ganache in a piping bag with a wide tip and fill the holes in each cupcake to the top.
3 to 4 cups powdered sugar
1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
3 to 4 tablespoons Baileyâ€™s
1. Cream the butter with an electric mixer.
2. Gradually add the powdered sugar
3. Add the desired amount of Baileyâ€™s (or milk, if you donâ€™t like Baileys) to the frosting to make it a little creamier.
4. Ice the cupcakes and decorate.