Key lime pie is my favorite dessert ever. Ever. Ever. I would choose key lime pie over any other treat (which is shocking, considering it doesn’t involve cheese and/or chocolate!). This recipe is simple, delicious, and the crust is to-die-for. Though I should note, I didn’t actually use key limes. They don’t sell them at my grocery store. I live in Wisconsin, not Florida! So I committed a culinary injustice and used regular limes instead….but will continue to call this key lime pie.
Key Lime Pie
Recipe Source: The Pioneer Woman
18 whole graham crackers (the 4-section large pieces)
â…“ cups sugar
â…“ cups butter, melted
1 Tablespoon (heaping) lime zest
½ cups lime juice
2 whole egg yolks
1 can (14 Oz) sweetened condensed milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. For the crust: Crush crackers in a food processor or Ziploc bag. Pour them into a bowl and stir in sugar and melted butter. Press into a pie pan and bake for 5 minutes or until golden and set. Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly.
3. For the filling: Mix lime zest, lime juice, and egg yolks in a mixing bowl. Add in condensed milk and mix on high until smooth and thick. Pour mixture into crust and bake for 15 minutes.
4. Remove from oven, allow to cool, then refrigerate for at least 1 hourâ€”more if possible.
5. Serve with sweetened whipped cream and more grated lime zest.
4 thoughts on “Key Lime Pie”
and… im happy. just looooking at it. yum yum yummers
I have been able to find key limes year round in several grocery stores in the western Chicago suburbs. I’m not sure what major city you’re near to make suggestions as to where to look. If you have a Trader Joe’s near you I would start there.
I would also try going to where the lemon juice is at and some stores have the Nellie and Joe’s Key Lime Juice in a yellow bottle. In a pinch it would work and still better than the Persian (plain) limes.
I made this tonight and thought the crust was a little too much for the amount of filling. I like more filling than crust so I would half the crust recipe. But the filling was absolutely scrumptious!
Hi Jenny, Thanks for your comment! I’m glad you enjoyed the filling and I hope your comment will be of use to others who like their crust on the lighter side :-)