Oh baby, oh baby. Mint + chocolate is one of my all-time favorite combinations. These cookies would be great at Christmastime, as you could roll them in red and green sugars. By the way, fellow mint lovers of the Interwebz: have you tried the Oreo Fudge Creme Mint cookies? I swear I’m not trying to do a product plug for Oreo (though I would any day, cause I LOVE Oreos), but those cookies are AMAZING. They taste like Thin Mints…but BETTER. Try them. You will thank me, your resident Oreo expert.
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups granulated white sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
1 cup powdered sugar (I used Wilton mint sprinkles instead)
2 teaspoon green colored sugar (I skipped this ingredient)
Bag of mint truffle flavored Hershey’s Kisses (I couldn’t find mint-flavored Kisses, so I used plain chocolate)
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, and eggs until well mixed. Whisk in extracts.
3. Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients just until combined. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 350F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Roll dough into 1/2 Tablespoon balls. Roll balls into mint sprinkles (or powdered sugar!).
5. Place on cookie sheets about 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake for 11 to 13 minutes, until cookies crackle and dough doesn’t look raw.
6. Remove cookies from oven and immediately place an unwrapped kiss onto the center of each cookie. Cool cookies thoroughly on wire racks.
[edit: It was pointed out to me by a reader of this blog that it sometimes works better to cool the cookies for 5 minutes or so before placing the Kiss on top]
Makes about 60 cookies.