I was asked to donate a cake/cupcakes to a charity event last year in Chicago. I somehow forgot to blog about these goodies until now. Whoops. The event was a Spelling Bee fundraiser and everything was bumble bee themed! I made a bee cake and a million bee mini cupcakes. Apologies for the less-than-stellar photos – I took them very last minute, when everything was all packaged up and ready to roll!
- I used yellow and chocolate box mixes to make the cupcakes.
- I made a batch of chocolate buttercream and yellow-tinted white buttercream. Recipes for both can be found here.
- I ordered the little sugar bees from Amazon.com, the rest of the cupcakes were decorated with sprinkles.
- I used Wilton’s lady bug cake pan for this — and converted it, by decorating, into a bee!
- One box of cake mix will be enough to fill the pan.
- I decorated the bee with a small star tip, using the same icings that I listed above. You can attempt to make black icing, but it takes A LOT of black food dye to avoid a gray-ish hue.
- The stinger was made out of brown fondant.
- I was going to include wings on the bee, but they would have made the cake too tall to fit into the box. So the lil’ dude was wingless!